Sunday, February 7, 2010

super bowl snacks


I don't especially like football, but I love making football snacks. My friend and I usually plan some sort of conceptual menu based on which teams make it to the superbowl weeks in advance, but with all the snow this year we had to make due with what we had. The grocery store was getting pretty sparse. For some reason rice cripsy treats seem football-y to me. Maybe because I am a girl. No one complained that they were girly while they were stuffing them in their faces though. They are the perfect salty sweet combo... now that I think about ideal for pms days too...

salt caramel & peanut rice crispy treats

This is pretty much the basic recipe with two key additions- salt caramel sauce and salted peanuts. I always have salt caramel in the fridge dulce de leche comes ready to go in cans and would be a good substitute. They are both soft at room temperature so the treats won't set up too hard. Add as many peanuts as you want really..

  • 3 tablespoons butter, lightly browned
  • 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows
  • 6 cups rice crispies
  • salt caramel (or dulce de leche)
  • 1-2 cups salted peanuts

In large saucepan melt butter over low heat, let it start to brown. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Stir in salt caramel. Remove from heat. Add rice crispies. Stir until well coated. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares.

No comments: